Table of Contents
Prepping Your Granite Countertops for the Holidays
With the holidays just a hop, skip, and a jump away, it is about time you think about getting your home ready for the onslaught. You want to make sure family and guests will have a favorable impression, especially your kitchen where you will be spending a lot of your time.
You have enough time to do a kitchen remodel if you have the budget for it. A kitchen remodel can make your home much more functional and attractive. However, if your budget is a little tight what with all the expenses of the holidays, you might want to limit your upgrade to replacing your kitchen countertops. Here are some tips for prepping your granite countertops for the holidays.
Taking the plunge
Make no mistake, replacing your countertops will require a bit of work. However, if you start now, you can be ready for Halloween, and definitely for Thanksgiving.
You should replace your kitchen countertops if they are outdated, or they are not in good heart. This often happens when you choose materials that do not age well, or are not durable. This should be a lesson to you the next time you choose the material. Granite is not only beautiful and classic; it is also extremely durable, and will last you for generations.
Nevertheless, you should still consider all your options. The choice of kitchen countertops will depend largely on your lifestyle, and the way you use your kitchen. You need countertops that can take a lot of work without visible damage, and will require little maintenance, especially if are a busy homeowner.
You should also choose the color carefully. Since you might not be doing a complete remodel, you have to make sure your new countertops will go well with your current design. Find a color that matches or complements the existing colors in your kitchen. Granite countertops come in a wide variety of colors and designs, so you are sure to find one that will fit perfectly, and maybe make your kitchen look even more fantastic.
You should also consider putting in additional features such as a kitchen island or a significant overhang for your countertops to double as a dining area and entertainment center. These extra features can go a long way to transforming the function and esthetics of your kitchen.
By simply upgrading your kitchen countertops, you can ensure that your holiday celebrations will be truly festive. The best thing about this is your granite countertops will continue to serve you well beyond the holidays, so it is money well spent.
Care and maintenance
Assuming you went ahead and chose new granite countertops for your kitchen, you should next consider how to make it holiday ready. It can be easy to forget that while granite countertops are low maintenance, they still need some care, like any other material.
Granite is durable, but it is also a natural stone, so it has some level of porosity. You have to ensure that you protect it from possible surface damage, especially during the busy holiday season. You need to be ready for whatever comes when the parties and gatherings start. Here are some tips for maintaining and caring for your granite countertops:
- Make sure the seal is intact. Granite is porous, so you have to address this. When installers put in your granite countertops, they apply an impregnating sealer to inhibit the absorption of liquids that could stain the surface. Before your first big party, check if the seal is intact by letting some water drop on the surface. If it beads, you are good to go. If it spreads, you need to put a fresh coat of sealer.
- Lay in a supply of coasters. It might seem like a finicky thing to do, but insist that your guests use coasters when putting their glasses on the countertops. Have an ample number of coasters at hand so that there will be no reason not to use them. You can make this more functional by having unique coasters your guests can use to identify their drinks.
- Keep clean, dry rags on hand. Spills are almost inevitable during a party, so you want to be able to blot any that descends on your kitchen countertops as soon as it occurs. Remember that the sealer only delays absorption. If you leave it long enough, the liquid will probably seep through. You do not want to see a large, dry wine spot on your countertops the next morning that will be very difficult to remove.
- Use heat protection. Granite countertops are heat resistant up to 600 degrees Celsius, but the sealer can burn right off. If you place a very hot pan directly on it, you will probably have to apply a new coat of sealer. The heat might even leave some marks on the stone itself, especially light colored granite. To avoid these issues, use trivets and heat pads for everything even slightly hot.
- Cut on a board. One of the best things about granite is its durability. You can actually cut directly on the surface without damaging it. However, it is not very hygienic to do so. While granite is food safe, other things on the surface is probably not safe. It is much easier to clean small cutting boards than large countertops, so it makes a lot of sense to use them for food prep. Cutting directly on granite countertops will also dull your knifes, so that is also something to avoid.
Replacing and prepping your granite countertops for the holidays is a smart move. It gives you the perfect excuse to spend on upgrading your kitchen. If you need assistance, do not hesitate to call a reliable countertop specialist.
Granite ASAP is your best resource for advice on durable kitchen countertops if you are in the state of Virginia, including the cities of Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church, Fairfax, Chantilly, Herndon, Centreville, Tysons, and Washington DC. We offer free estimates and quotes for any of your kitchen countertops and remodeling needs.
We carry a wide range of natural stone slabs. Over 100 colors of granite and marble slabs are available for inspection at our Chantilly, Virginia showroom. We are the best supplier for granite countertops in your area.
If you prefer engineered stone, we can offer you products from the best engineered stone brands in the country. These include Cambria, Caesarstone, Silestone, and MSI brands, each one carrying the manufacturer’s warranty. You can choose what you want and we will deliver it ASAP!
Feel free to ask any questions over the phone, or get in touch using our contact form today!